The bouquet

 





Scene 1: Valentine's Day


We don't normally make a big fuss about Valentine's Day. I am not sure if it is because there is nothing really big to celebrate or is it because we think there is no need for a special day to express our special love for each other. 

However, I did wish "Happy Valentine's Day!" to echachen first thing in the morning. I can never resist myself doing that! I have, however stopped buying gifts because I am not sure if Echachen cares about them :)

I would, on the contrary, for sure appreciate receiving some flowers or gifts or at least a card, may be? This Valentine's day, I was for some reason, hoping to be gifted with a flower bouquet.

It was also the starting of lent also known as "Ash Wednesday". The priest would put ashes on our head to remind us that we are made of dust and to dust we shall return and also to mark the beginning of a season of fasting and abstinence so that God will forgive our sins.

We went to church and then went to drop Nemo and Iris to Aathira's house for sleepover as it was the half-term week. Upon reaching there, I spotted the valentine flowers Aathira got from Prasanth chettan. You can imagine my envy!



Scene 2: A Family Day Out

This is something rare to happen - to go out as a family. That is because Echachen is always taking Iris for tennis practice sessions and Nemo, Eva and I end up doing something else.

Since it was half-term and also because it was my birthday the next day, we decided to do a family day out on Saturday.

I booked mini-golf which was actually fun and after lunch, we spend some time shopping. My hubby and kids went around to get gifts for me which was kind of exciting for me not because of the gifts but to think they all do care for me ❤️



Scene 3: Birthday morning 5.30 am

I usually wake up early these days to spend some time with Jesus at the beginning of the day. This gives me opportunity to reflect on few bible verses and also to give thanks to God Almighty for all the blessings in my life.

I woke up at 5.20 am (which I would admit, I could have never done before in my life. I would just usually lie in on my birthday and all days but I have by God's abundant grace successfully overcome my desire to sleep which I am very grateful for!)

I asked Jesus, "What would you gift me on my birthday?". I also prayed to not have high expectations of anything and to be happy with whatever I am given today. I normally would keep thinking about what surprises I would have etc. 

Scene 4: A treasure hunt

Nemo was the first one to wake up and he came downstairs to wish me happy birthday. He was more excited than me and so he couldn't lie down any longer. It is amazing to see how much they love you. He and Iris sat up late the day before to wrap my gifts and to set up a treasure hunt. I think Nemo was very much excited for me to do this. I said we will all do it together when Iris and Eva wakes up. So he went back to bed again. 



Scene 5: Gifts

Finally, everyone woke up and I (or we!) did the treasure hunt. I got some lovely clothes and 2 Jigsaw puzzles. Now I just need to find some time to do it!



Scene 6: A fight

After all the initial celebrations and wishes and calls, I started making lunch. For breakfast, we had idli and kadala curry. As I was preparing lunch, I asked Iris and Nemo to learn Sunday school since this is the norm every Sunday.

Nemo studied quite easily as his lessons are easier compared to Iris'. Iris has got very long chapters. She began to make a fuss about it. We ended up fighting and she went upstairs to her room. I called for echachen to come and support me but he was no where to be found....

Scene 7: Burnt kale chips

Iris told me appa had gone out somewhere. I called him up and he said he just went outside.

I was disappointed after the fight hence wanted some consolation. I looked around for echachen as I always do when I want some comfort. I was surprised and annoyed that he had went without telling me.

I rang him and he said he did say this out loud before leaving but I had never heard that.

I dropped the call and began concentrating on my prospective kale chips. Nemo helped me with removing of the hard stalk and spreading them out on the baking tray. 

I was not in the greatest of emotional states and pushed the tray into the oven and set to bake for 20 mins at 200 degrees Celsius (Yes, I know, that's a bit too much!)

After 20 mins, I opened the oven door and to my dismay, found the almost burnt kale chips ready. Nemo did say they were nice though!

Scene 8: A broken phone holder

Eva was not listening and she kept playing with Iris's phone. I had to grab the phone off her and this resulted in the breaking of the smiley holder behind the phone. 

Iris found out about this later on but she wasn't bothered that much which was good :)

Scene 9: A reconciliation

Echachen came back after a while. He spoke to Iris and Nemo and found out about all the fight that happened while he was away. He was like, "I just went out for an hour and what all is happening here!". Iris came and hugged and apologised for spoiling my day. That's what she said even though it was also me being adamant that she should learn her Sunday school lesson.

Scene 10: Sunday Mass

We went to Malankara Catholic mass at Stanwell. Normally, the priest would call out the names of people celebrating birthdays each month and give our cards after the mass but for some reason, this was not done today. I had set my expectations low anyway so that wasn't a problem at all. 

Scene 11: The bouquet from Jesus

It was the priest's ordination day the next day, hence he was gifted with a card and a bunch of red roses. After the mass, some people who knew about my birthday were wishing me. Echachen, casually told the priest that it was my birthday today. Father Linu came over to me and wished me. He then handed over his bouquet to me. You can imagine my happiness! I consider it as a gift from Jesus himself for my birthday. Something which I really wished for, a bouquet!



Scene 12: Where is the cake?

On our way back from church, we were all discussing which restaurant to go to celebrate my birthday. Kids wanted to go to Mac Donald's as usual and echachen said if we should try Kemp Grill. I said I am fine with anything. In between, I asked if there was a cake because Eva kept saying she wanted to eat cake. 

Echachen said there isn't one as it was all last minute and he didn't plan for one. I was a bit disappointed but still managed to stay happy because remember I did pray in the morning to help me keep my expectations low.

I said we can go to Kemp Grill in Northwood as I knew Echachen won't be very happy with Mac Donald's. On the way, he suddenly stopped in front of the Cake box in Pinner and said he will order a cake. I was happy lol.

He went and came back but there wasn't any cake. So we asked him, "Where is the cake?" and he said we can collect it on the way back. We all agreed. 

The only thing that worried me was that Eva was about to fall asleep, the one who actually wanted the cake!

Scene 13: A surprise!

We drove to Northwood still undecided if we should actually go into Kemp Grill or not. We started looking for parking, I found one but echachen didn't agree that can fit our car in and he drove past. 

He rode into Namaste Lounge (another restaurant) which has its own private car park. I asked him why we are going in there since it is private. He said we might as well eat there instead of Kemp Grill but the parking area was full except for one small space. He managed to park in that spot.

We got out and went in to the restaurant. Echachen went ahead and spoke to the receptionist and I thought I saw him saying something about a reserved space. I was bit confused.

Anyways, I was glad we were at some good place, planned or unplanned, I didn't care much.

We settled in at a big table and I was thinking why we were sat at such a large table when we were only five people. Then I looked around and noticed almost all the tables empty hence I thought it might be because the restaurant was not busy today.

We went through the menu and discussed what we should have when suddenly somebody came from my back and shouted "Happy Birthday!"

I was so taken aback, it was Aathira, Prasanth chettan, Indu and Geethu! So that was what Echachen had planned the whole time and I thought he never planned anything. I had tears of joy as I was so surprised and happy. Aathira hugged me and we all sat down. It took a while for me to absorb all of it.



Scene 14: The climax

Everyone chatted and ordered food. Eva was sleeping on the side sofa. I was a bit sad about it as I really wanted her to enjoy the moments and I wanted to cut the cake with her. I really hoped she would wake up by the time we finished here and collected the cake and went back home.

We had almost finished eating when Nemo said he needed the toilet. By the time I went and came back, the waitress had cleared the table. I was like what, I wasn't done. Echachen said he thought I had finished eating. I said that's okay and wondered what was the rush lol. 

We sat there talking and I heard someone singing happy birthday and the waiter brought out a cake in front of me with sparkling candles! Again, I was so confused and shocked as I wasn't at all expecting a cake here. Remember, the cake Echachen ordered at Cake box on our way here. He said that stop was a last minute addition to the drama. Haha. 



Conclusion:

I am truly grateful to my dear friend Jesus for helping me set my expectations low on my birthday and for giving me a terrific day with highs and lows.

And best gift of all, the bouquet of red roses, a personal gift from God 🌹🌹🌹

I Love You Jesus 😘







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trisandhya Japam

Some Baby Talk

Back to writing....I guess